Saturday, September 29, 2007

Grammar Research

I started this research project by simply googling "Grammar in the Classroom." I found thousands of articles and books about this subject, but honestly they all seemed to revolve around the same thing; rules and what to do with those rules. Sometimes I feel that people get so caught up in rules that they totally forget about the artform of writing. Yes, rules are important and there are certainly right and wrong ways of doing certain tasks in writing, but when we do nothing but pound these rules into our students the creativity gets lost in the shuffle and this is where we begin to see our students loose imagination in their writings. Am I saying that we shouldn't teach grammar rules? Absolutely not, but I do believe that some teacher put too much of an emphasis on them to the point where the students are no longer worried about writing a good paper, but more of a correct paper.

No comments: