Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Group Teach 1 blog

One of the most difficult topics to teach, in my opinion, is exactly what Noden talks about in this chapter. During my short time in the classroom and reading papers from various age groups it has been a common occurrence when students don't necessarily lack in grammar, but more visuale observations, or bringing their stories to life using descriptive words. I believe that Noden's concept of "painting with 5 basic brush strokes" could be a great way of allowing our students to explore this extremely artistic/creative approach to writing and could help immensely with helping students grasp this somewhat diffult task of bringing words to life.

3 comments:

Ashley Wallace said...

I think so too...but it should be presented very slowly and cautiously. It could scare off some kids because you are introducing new terms.

Ashley Vogl said...

That is true, and I agree with what Ashley wrote about scaring kids off with the terminology, because I think that showed a little bit in class today with college students! Hopefully the discussion we had about the difference between movies and books helped us to realize that creative writing can actually bring things to life!

Shannon said...

I agree that often our students suffer from lifeless writing, and I think, in large part, this is due to the fact that they have very little personal investment in the writing they are asked to create. When students care more about what they are creating, they tend to want to "get it right" as far as the mechanics are concerned. Noden really helped my students to play with language and become artful writers that cared about the tone and mechanics of their writing.